Purchasing groceries from a super market comes with the an unspoken trust. We expect that the grocery store has taken proper care of the food throughout the distribution and transportation process, as has stored the food at a safe temperature inside the super market.
As a recent Pinellas Circuit Court filing reminds us, super markets are required to do much more than simply keep our food safe; they must also maintain a safe environment for all of the patrons on the premises.
Just last month, a Winn-Dixie in Miami Lakes was forced to pay more than $4.8 Million for pain, suffering, and future medical expenses to a patron that slipped and fell on an unidentified puddle of water.
On June 5, 2017, a patron at Publix Super Market No. 1320 was injured after the motorized shopping cart she was operating tipped over unexpectedly. She alleges that Publix failed to maintain and inspect the defective motorized cart.
If you or a loved one has slipped or fallen due a substance on the floor inside of a super market, The Friedland | Carmona is here to help you. Immediately after a slip and fall, here are the steps you should take to preserve your potential case:
- Take photos and videos of the spot where the fall occurred, as well as the surrounding areas. Photographic evidence of liquid on the floor can be quite helpful, as it may show that the super market failed to take care of a negligent condition that caused the accident.
- Fill out an incident report at the store before you leave. Be sure that you note any injuries you seem to be having at the time.
- If there are witnesses to the accident, be sure to get their names and contact information if possible. They may be able to corroborate your story and provide clarity as to exactly how the accident happened.
- Save the receipts for anything you may have purchased at the store that day.
- If you begin to feel pain after the accident, seek medical attention.
- Contact the attorneys here at Friedland | Carmona. Our experienced slip and fall specialists have seen hundreds of these types of cases, and can put you in the best position to recover damages from your accident. We are here to help you and your family recover from accidents including slip and falls, and have recovered millions of dollars in damages for accident victims all throughout South Florida.The South Florida personal injury attorneys at the Friedland | Carmona handle all types of negligence, product liability, personal injury, negligent security, slip/trip and fall, and car accident cases throughout the state of Florida, including Boca Raton, Homestead, North Miami, South Miami, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Pembroke Pines, Hialeah, Kendall, Aventura, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach. Call today and let our family take care of yours.