September in South Florida means that storm season is here, and with the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Irma rapidly approaching, it is imperative that you and your family take the necessary precautions before it is too late. While hurricane season is certainly an unsettling time of year, you and your family can take steps to ensure that your property is safe. Though property insurance cannot physically protect your home from nature’s elements, it legally protects you in the event that there is damage to your property after the storm passes.
How can you protect yourself?
- Preparation is key. Now is the time to make sure that your property insurance is up to date on any home you may own. Be sure that your policy extends coverage through the end of the calendar year, and that all of the necessary premiums have been paid. Missing payments and failing to renew your policy in time could put your policy in bad standing with your insurance company, which would prevent you from making a valid property damage claim after the storm.
- Take pictures of your home and the surrounding areas of your property before the storm arrives. This provides you with photographic proof that prior to the hurricane, there was no existing damage to your home.
- After the storm has passed and it is safe to return home, cautiously inspect the premises to see if there is any damage to the property.
- Take extensive photographs and videos of any damage, including the surrounding areas.
- Save all of the receipts for anything you must purchase in an attempt to minimize the damage. An example of such would be tarps to protect against further water damage from a roof leak.
- Report the damage and open a claim with your insurance company as soon as possible. The process can be slow, so it is essential to put the damage on your insurance company’s radar quickly.
- Read the fine print of your property insurance policy to find out if there are specific things you are obligated to do under the terms of the policy.
- Contact an attorney to ensure your interests are represented in the proper manner. Here at the Friedland | Carmona, we specialize in dealing with insurance companies that are fighting property claims. The Friedland | Carmona is here to help you and your family recover from accidents including hurricane property damage, and have recovered millions of dollars in damages for accident victims all throughout South Florida.The South Florida personal injury attorneys at the Friedland | Carmona handle all types of negligence, product liability, personal injury, negligent security, slip/trip and fall, and car accident cases throughout the state of Florida, including Boca Raton, Homestead, North Miami, South Miami, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, Pembroke Pines, Hialeah, Kendall, Aventura, Fort Lauderdale, and Palm Beach. Call today and let our family take care of yours.